Saturday, March 3, 2012

Enjoying the Ride

July 27, 2011


I am not an avid bicycle rider. I never have been. While I have extremely fond memories of learning how to ride a bike, having a pretty sweet yellow Huffy bicycle with a banana seat and, later on, feeling the awesome wonder of a surprise gift of a 10 speed bicycle from my parents, I can honestly say I've never considered "biking" a hobby.

However, that didn't stop me from volunteering to provide sag support at the 2000 Giro di Peninsula, despite the fact I was out of shape and had no experience, whatsoever, in volunteering for a bike ride! At that time, the "medium-intensity, one-mile climb" up Crystal Springs Road seemed like a "mountain!"

I was looking for that "going in blindly" and "just do it" attitude today as my partner, Rory, and I participated in Bicycle Sunday - car-free biking on Cañada Road. Our starting point was at the intersection of Cañada Road and Highway 92.

By most accounts, Cañada Road, between Highway 92 and Edgewood Road (approximately 4 miles), is relatively flat, with lightly rolling hills. I won't argue - this is a beautiful, scenic route and definitely recommended for learning how to ride or getting re-acquainted with riding. But, I have to keep it real. I have not been on a bike in a long time... a really long time. My heart was racing from exertion at certain times.  I haven't looked at any elevation maps for the area, but I'm sure the inclines throughout the route were minimal (and they were definitely gradual).  And, yet, I felt as if I was actually climbing and grinding!

Shortly after turning around at Edgewood Road, looking ahead, I could see approximately three distinct "rolling hills." I felt exasperated with the thought of having to climb those hills and anxious about how much more climbing there was ahead.
But, just as quickly as I felt exasperated, I felt a sense of calm and inspiration.

It became clear to me - regardless of how potentially daunting the road ahead would be, if I could only look back to see what I had already accomplished in the previous climbs (when I felt certain I would have to stop), I would see that I accomplished some major obstacles already.  All of a sudden, those three rolling hills coming up were just "bumps" on the proverbial road ahead and, literally, no more difficult than any climb I had just completed, today or at earlier points in my cycling adventures. And maybe there were more ascents to come, but to cite one of my favorite quotes:

"It always seems impossible until it's done" - Nelson Mandela.

Thank you San Mateo County Parks department for making Bicycle Sundays possible, to my brother for a belated 40th birthday gift of a safely tuned, used bicycle and a helmet, and to Rory for continuing to inspire and motivate me to take on new adventures. Tour di Peninsula 2011, here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment